Translate this page from English...
*Machine translated pages not guaranteed for accuracy.
Click Here for our professional translations.
Nursing and Health Care
Intuitive nursing practice (which is still the norm in nursing), when performed automatically, without care, vigilance, and routine critique, can result in many significant negative implications. The student nurse develops intuitive, skillful performance in nursing by first learning the tools of critical thinking, and then routinely applying reflective, critical thought in routine nursing situations. Through this deliberate and disciplined process, student nurses gradually increase their expertise in reasoning as reliable professionals ensuring quality client care. To think critically through the myriad problems and issues in nursing requires command of the elements of thought and the universal intellectual standards. It requires the development, over time, of intellectual traits and dispositions. And it requires understanding the obstacles to critical thought (that result primarily from egocentric and sociocentric thought).
An Introduction to Critical Thinking Concepts and Tools
The following articles focus on a number of foundational concepts in critical thinking and though not specifically focused on nursing education, are nevertheless relevant to all instruction which aims at the development of critical thinking.
- Critical Thinking and Nursing
- Becoming a Critic Of Your Thinking
- Learning the Elements and Standards of Critical Thinking
- Glossary of Critical Thinking Terms
- Universal Intellectual Standards
- Distinguishing Between Inferences and Assumptions
- Using Intellectual Standards to Assess Student Reasoning
- Valuable Intellectual Traits
- Thinking With Concepts
- Critical Thinking in Every Domain of Knowledge and Belief
- Critical Thinking Development: A Stage Theory
- Critical Thinking: Identifying the Targets
- The Analysis & Assessment of Thinking
- The Role of Questions in Teaching, Thinking and Learning
- Distinguishing Between Inert Information, Activated Ignorance, Activated Knowledge
Materials for Purchase
There are many materials on our website available for purchase that are relevant to thinking well within any field of study. From these materials, we have created the Nursing Instruction Bundle, to help you get started with critical thinking. The materials in this bundle are designed for:
- the nursing educator (to better foster substantive critical thinking in the classroom),
- the nursing student (to cultivate a nursing philosophy aimed at the use of critical thinking throughout one's nursing career).
- the nursing professional (to developing understanding of the critical thinking concepts and tools essential to skilled nursing practice).
Nursing Instruction Bundle
For nursing instruction, we recommend the following materials, most of which focus on the foundations of critical thinking, which will need to be contextualized for nursing education.
• 564M: Clinical Reasoning
• 520M: Critical Thinking: Concepts & Tools
• 103B: Critical Thinking: Tools for Taking Charge of Your Professional & Personal Life
• 200S: Laminated Card Set: Critical Thinking for Education (set of 6)
• 326DVD: Nursing Series -Critical Thinking and Intuition in Nursing Practice
• 553M: The Art of Socratic Questioning
• 570M: The Human Mind
Retail Value: $84.90 | You Save $16.60